West Catholic strongly encourages the integration and use of technology in all courses by both teachers and students. We strive to meet and exceed all national and state standards. ISTE (International Society for Technology in Education) standards are met within in technology classes and throughout the building to prepare all students to use technology seamlessly in their education so that they are prepared for the future.
In addition to teaching digital citizenship throughout our curriculum, West Catholic enforces a strict code of conduct in dealing with all usage of technology, electronic transmissions, and all digital content. To review West Catholic’s technology policies and procedures, please read the Policies / Documentation sections below.
iPad Tutorials and Troubleshooting
- Getting connected at home
- Installing apps
- Submitting homework
- Using Infinite Campus
- Using Google
- Using Canvas
- Setting up Email on your iPad
- Troubleshooting iPad issues
Beginning with the 2020-21 school year, West Catholic is insuring all student devices.
Each insured device is covered for unlimited repairs for the duration of the iPad coverage. (subject to terms and agreement of policy) The following damage types are covered by the policy:
- Accidental Damage
- Mechanical Failures
- Liquid Damage
All repairs and billing is handled through West Catholic’s Technology Support Desk. DO NOT attempt self-repair of your device or unauthorized 3rd party repairs. All damaged devices should be brought directly to the support desk. A lender device will be issued if the original device is sent out for repair.
In the interest of increased security for student work, we’ve adopted a password tool that allows students to create a private network password that is 100% confidential.
What you need to know:
- This password, like the one you have now, is a ‘single sign on’ password that will provide access to most major systems: Network, Google Apps (mail, drive etc.) and Canvas.
- Student Infinite Campus password will NOT change, unless a student chooses to change it so they align. (see instructions below)
- At this time, Naviance accounts are managed independently by the Guidance Department. See Lauri Ford if you have Naviance login questions.
- You will have to enter the new password on any device you use to access those accounts such as personal phone, home computer etc.
- No one will have access to your password; not even diocesan tech staff.
- You will be prompted to change your password near the beginning of each semester.
What if I forget my new password?
- During school hours, go to technology support desk for assistance.
- If you forget your password outside of school hours, there is no assistance available. As a safeguard, email your password to your personal email account or to your parents so you can easily recall it if needed.
How to change your password (This step must be completed at school):
Step 1: Go to https://passwordswc.grdiocese.org/
Step 2: Click the My Account button and enter your email address and current password
Step 3: Select ‘change password’ from the top menu and follow the steps to set a new password.
Password rules are listed on the right hand side of the page
- Minimum 8 characters
- Must include a digit, lowercase letter, and a uppercase letter
- May NOT include a username or any of your 3 previous passwords
How to change Infinite Campus password:
Step 1: Log into the Infinite Campus portal on a computer or in Safari on your iPad (option to change password is not available on the Campus Portal app.)
Step 2: On the left side select Account Management
Step 3: Follow the steps to create a new password:
- Enter a new password
- Re-enter the new password
- Enter your current password
- Save Changes
- You will see a Save Successful message
End of Year Device Preparation
Below is an explanation of the plans and timelines for school-issued iPads as we draw closer to summer. Please review the procedures for graduating Seniors as well as for Underclassmen. (Note: A process similar to the Senior iPad Collection will take place for underclassmen who have not committed to returning next fall.)
IPAD COLLECTION PROCEDURE FOR SENIORS
Senior iPads will be collected following AP exams. At this time all unpaid repair costs or fees for missing equipment will be collected. The school will hold diplomas for any students with outstanding fees or missing equipment. They will be allowed to participate in all graduation activities, but won’t receive their actual diploma until they’ve met all obligations.
We’ve created the following simple process to ensure that all devices and equipment are accounted for prior to graduation.
|Deadline for device turn-in: May 17||
What happens to my iPad, Apps, and data when I turn in my iPad?
Congratulations, you’re almost there! Graduation is on the horizon. Soon you’ll be turning in your books and your iPads then moving onto college or other ventures. But wait… What happens to your digital “stuff” when you leave? Will you continue to have access to your school Google account for Drive and email? Will you be able to use the apps that were provided for your use while in high school such as iAnnotate? The answer to those questions is: No, those resources will be made available for the new students coming to us in the fall.
When you turn in your iPad, it will be cleared and reset. You will have access for 30 days to purchase apps such as iAnnotate, Explain Everything and the Pro version of Dictionary. After that, you’ll be prompted to purchase those apps if you wish to continue to use them. Mid-June, we will be removing your Google Apps account including Drive and email. You can however, keep any of the digital content that you created, contacts, email, etc. To do so, you need to backup and transfer that content to other accounts. Below is the backup process. Click on the links to access how-to docs/videos for the various systems.
BACKING UP YOUR DATA
Seniors, please review these linked instructions regarding How to Backup Your Data and How to Prep Your iPad for Turn-in.
IPAD EXPECTATIONS FOR UNDERCLASSMEN
Students who’ve officially committed with a signed tuition contract and $100 enrollment fee to West Catholic for the 2021-22 school year will keep their school-issued iPad throughout the summer. Devices will continue to be monitored exactly as they are during the school year. Technical support questions and repairs will be available throughout the summer via [email protected].
Exception: School-owned devices are not allowed to leave the country. Therefore, international students that will be returning to West Catholic the following year must turn in their iPads prior to returning home for summer.
West Catholic embraces the use of technology as an educational tool. However, as with many tools, training, troubleshooting, and support are often part of the package. Our school has two full-time employees as well as a Diocesan support team to help with these matters.
Jeff Bailey is our Instructional Technology Specialist. Jeff’s role is to support staff and students in the appropriate and effective usage of technology. He is also available to help support parents if they have questions or concerns centered around technology.
Tom Kutzli is our Technology Director. Tom’s role is to support the overall implementation and vision for technology at West Catholic. He is also the front line of support for hardware problems, software setup, and student devices in need of repair.
Don’t hesitate to reach out directly to our technology department with any questions. You can also email our technology support line at: [email protected] The Technology Support line is designed for questions outside of normal school hours. Our team will do its best to give timely responses to all questions.
Instructional Technology Specialist
West Catholic partners with the Flynn O’Hara Uniforms to provide uniforms to our students. To purchase uniforms, find sizing information, or explore additional information, visit the Flynn O’Hara website.
Questions or Issues with your purchase? Take a look at our FAQ page for quick answers to common concerns.
Still can’t find what you need? Our customer service department is open Monday-Saturday year-round at (800) 441-4122, or [email protected].
All West Catholic students are issued a student planner. Planners contain school information, daily schedules, maps, policies, and more. Students also use planners as a hallway passbook.
West Catholic High School does not endorse any employer. We are posting these job opportunities at the request of community members for our students’ convenience:
- Newton Aerial Academy – Newton Aerial Academy (owned by CC Dive Coach Neil Mastellone) Is hiring part-time assistant gymnastics, trampoline + tumbling, diving, cheer, and ninja/parkour coaches! No experience is necessary. Applicants must be 15+ and have reliable transportation. Hours will be primarily on weekdays in the late afternoon and evening. Contact [email protected] with questions. Complete an NAA Employment Interest Form to apply. (Posted 9/21/22)
- All Saints Academy – ASA is seeking fun-loving individuals to assist in our preschool/toddler child care, serving as caregivers after school until 6 p.m. Flexibility with work days. Candidates must be at least 16 years old. If you are interested, please contact Beckie Patterson at [email protected] or (616) 447-2997. (Posted 9/8/22)
- St. Anthony of Padua – St. Anthony is looking for an individual to help support its child care program. This candidate must be over 18 years old and enjoy working with kids. The position is primarily for 3-6 p.m., Monday through Friday in our after-school child care program. A background check and fingerprinting will be required for the position. Anyone interested in being considered for this position should send their resume and a cover letter to St. Anthony Principal Jenny Pudelko at [email protected]. (Posted 8/26/22)
- Assumption BVM School – Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary Catholic School is seeking an After School Child Care Assistant. The assistant is responsible for supervising the students enrolled in BAC and providing a dynamic after-school program experience. The after-school program hours are 3:30-5:45 p.m. Monday through Friday. Candidates must have strong organizational, communication and multitasking skills and enjoy working with children. If you are interested in applying, please contact Assumption Principal Domenic Franconi at [email protected]. (Posted 8/26/22)
- Christmas Creations LLC – Christmas Creations LLC is looking for individuals to help install Christmas lights. Positions will be similar to outside yard work and start soon, so be sure to apply early. There will be no roofline work, only lighting from the ground. The company offers flexible scheduling with the main core hours on Saturday and/or Sunday from 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Must be able to lift 25 lbs and have reliable transportation. Students aged 15+ are welcome to apply. Please email your contact information to [email protected] or call (616) 617-0732. (Posted 8/25/22)