After Gov. Whitmer unveiled her MI Safe Schools: Michigan’s 2020-21 Return to School Roadmap, we were able to finalize our plans for re-opening West Catholic on August 19 and submit them to the State Superintendent prior to the start of the school year. We will continue to follow the necessary requirements and work with the Kent County Health Department to form sensible policy, making sure our students, staff and community remain safe. And we will continue to provide our students with a cutting-edge, dynamic, excellence-driven education.
Our plans center around the knowledge that there is no substitute for in-class instruction and human interaction. Yet during this pandemic, we recognize the need to provide flexibility and choice so we can offer an excellent education while protecting the health of each and every student and staff member. We can get through this together!
Below you will find a brief overview of our Back-to-School plan for the 2020-2021 school year. A more detailed plan can be found HERE (link is external).
- West Catholic will have direct classroom instruction in every classroom, every day for all students who prefer traditional in-person instruction.
- For students who would prefer to learn in the safety of their own home, we will be live streaming each and every class period. Students will be able to virtually attend all of their classes remotely.
- To provide additional support to all West Catholic students, all instruction will be recorded and posted for students to review at any time.
- Student and staff safety is a top priority.
- The building will be cleaned and safely sanitized daily.
- We will have all the available supplies to mitigate the transmission of germs in the air and on surfaces.
- Safe distancing protocol will be maintained in the classroom and throughout the building.
- We will be bringing the benefits of the outside to the indoors with our upgraded ventilation and filter systems.
- We will be following the MI Safe Schools: Michigan’s 2020-21 Return to School Roadmap. We are anticipating beginning school in Phase 4, which will require everyone in our building to wear masks (except those with medical exemptions).
- As part of our commitment to educating the whole person, West Catholic will spend time and utilize programming to address the social, emotional and mental health of our students and staff.
This year, we are introducing the Households System, which will include exercise and wellness programs.
- We will follow the guidelines and directives provided to us by the MHSAA (link is external).
- The MHSAA’s current plan is to play all scheduled fall sports. However, these plans are subject to change.
- We continue to offer strength and conditioning throughout the summer. We encourage your student(s) to grow in mind, soul and body!
- We will have weekly Mass and our regular reconciliation schedule, although it may look different.
- Class sizes are small this year to facilitate spacing and to better serve our students and teachers.
- Blessed with a very large school, we will safely serve breakfast, lunch and dinner outside of the classrooms so the social component of breaking bread with friends continues.
- Both breakfast and dinner are free to all students regardless of financial need.
- Please stay home if you are sick.
- Help us with a daily screen for symptoms, including a daily temperature check of student(s). We will provide a daily screening app.
- Even now, prior to the start of school, we encourage parents to take the temperature of their student(s) daily and follow up with a physician if necessary.
- Busing will be available.
- We will follow the MI Safe Schools: Michigan’s 2020-21 Return to School Roadmap, which includes:
- All students must wear a mask on the bus (except those with medical exemptions).
- Students from the same household are encouraged to sit together.
- Students should maintain appropriate social distance when possible.
- The use of hand sanitizer is mandatory and will be available as students enter the bus.
- Buses will be sanitized after each route.